Thursday, December 18, 2008

a little less

Today has been one of those days. Not to far out of the norm for a Thursday, tired from the crazy night before, ready for my day off Friday and rushing around trying to get some work done before the weekend. But there was one thing different today. Today as a church staff we participated in a day of fasting and praying. Though I am really hungry right now and my stomach sounds like a pack of wild lions I am encouraged. I am encouraged of the amount of people participating in a day of fasting and prayer for our church. I am also encouraged that God hears are prayers and cares about our requests. When i first think of fasting my stomach immediately says "no way". But I have seen and experienced God's goodness when we take steps of faith and discipline to grow in Him. Today has been one of those days. One of those days when I got to depend on God more than the norm and as a church right now that is where we are too. With our weekly offering not matching what we anticipated our budget to be we are depending on God more than normal. I kind of have mixed emotions on it. One part of me thinks back of when we had $$$ in the bank and we never worried about our pay and we all got Christmas bonuses and all was good. But the other side of me longs for a deep connection with God, a connection where I find myself on my face before the Lord crying and pleading for Him to show up in a God size way (a way that only God can do). So I share this because i am encouraged by what God is doing in me and my church and I want to invite you to pray and fast for what ever it is that you have been asking God to do. Here is a cool verse that I heard this week.  
Isaiah 62:6-7 says
I have posted watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; they will never be silent day or night. You who call on the Lord, give yourselves no rest, and give him no rest till he establishes Jerusalem and makes her the praise of the earth. 

What a cool verse! I hope it speaks to you and encourages you to PRAY and continue to pray until God does something. It says "give him no rest" and as a church that is what we want to do. Pray and ask God to provide and we are going to give him no rest until he does.

2 comments:

  1. That is an awesome piece of scripture I wonder what it would be like to spend 24 hours with God no sleep would that be a good way to discipline ourselves spiritually

    ReplyDelete
  2. That scripture really spoke to me, thanks for that. It lets me know that i don't have to quiet to my God, and i get to talk to him as much as i can. it makes me think of how different the world would be if we all did it.

    ReplyDelete